How do I get cheap car insurance?
Everybody wants the best value for their car insurance premium. That’s why Nationwide offers many ways to get low rates, including our car insurance discounts. But what really makes us unique is the quality we offer our members. Here are a few benefits Nationwide members get:
- Dependable, customizable car insurance – you can choose the auto insurance policies that suit your lifestyle and budget.
- Top-notch claims service – Nationwide Claims Service is there when you need it, 24/7. You can file a claim online or by phone.
- An annual On Your Side Review to ensure your coverage is meeting your needs.
- Accident Forgiveness helps you avoid increased rates in the event of your first at-fault accident.
How can I lower my car insurance rates?
Certain factors influence your auto insurance rates, including some things you can control:
- The kind of car you drive – The price and style of your vehicle will impact how much your rates will be. The age of your car also matters; older cars tend to be cheaper to insure.
- The kind of coverage you choose – If you drive an older car with high mileage, you might consider dropping collision or comprehensive coverage if you need to keep your premiums low.
- The amount of your deductible – Higher deductibles can significantly lower car insurance premiums. While it could mean more out-of-pocket expenses in the event of an accident, it could also mean paying less over time.
- Where you keep your car – Rates are determined to some degree by the area in which you live and park your car.
- The number of drivers on your policy – If you add someone to your policy, your rate will increase, particularly if that “someone” is a new teen driver. Statistically teenagers have more accidents so they’re more expensive to insure.
- Your driving record – Insurance rates can sometimes increase after an accident or moving violation. The good news? You may qualify for a discount after a certain period of driving accident-free.
You can learn more about the factors that impact the cost of car insurance – and be sure to take them into account as you shop for coverage.
Getting cheap rates on auto insurance
Getting started with our car insurance comparison tool
What details do you need to get car insurance quotes?
To get car insurance quotes and start comparing, you’ll need to be able to tell us:
- Your car registration number – if you don’t have it to hand, simply click ‘Find car by make and model’
- Your expected annual mileage figures
- Where your car’s parked during the day and night
- What you use your car for, e.g. commuting, business use
- Your main driving licence details
Compare car insurance deals with uSwitch
uSwitch is a free, impartial comparison and switching service – we’re not affiliated to any one insurer and we’ll only ask you for information that will help us get you the most accurate possible quotes.
How to get cheap car insurance
While there are many factors you can’t control when it comes to the cost of cover, there are some simple measures you can take to keep the cost down in your search for very cheap car insurance, including:
- Paying a higher voluntary excess (the extra amount you’d pay in the event of a claim)
- Limiting who drives your car to just yourself, or you plus a named driver
- Parking your car in a garage or driveway away from the street
- Keeping your mileage low (doing less than the average of 8,000 miles per year according to the National Travel Survey)
- Fitting a security device such as an alarm, tracker, or immobiliser
For more ideas on how to reduce your insurance costs, read our car insurance guides.
How do I find the cheapest auto insurance rates?
Once you’ve selected your quote, you’ll be able to speak directly with an insurance broker who’ll help you lock in your rate with the insurance company and get set up with your new policy. Shopping for car insurance has never been quicker or easier.
Compare car insurance quotes online
to get the lowest rates
Just fill out our insurance form and click ‘Compare’ to find your quotes. Auto insurance rates for the same driver with the same car can vary wildly between insurance companies, which is why comparing rates is the only way to get the best deal.
Compare Auto Insurance Rates?
You could be saving up to $359 per year ($1,031 if you’re an extra safe driver).
Every car insurance company in the U.S. claims they can save you money on your car insurance. The surprising thing is that many of them may be telling the truth.
To make sure you’re saving the most on your coverage policy, experts recommend getting at least 4 auto insurance quotes. With Compare.com, you get 4 or more locked in rates in just minutes. Start your free online quote comparison today!
Forgetting you’re a homeowner.
If you own a home, you could be saving up to 3 percent on your auto insurance policy. Want to save even more? Bundling your home and auto insurance can save you up to 8 percent on your current coverage costs.